If you want to consider Scuba diving as a career choice, it is valid to do so.
If you are an adventure junky, you love scuba diving, u love to be in the water and inspire other people to enjoy the sport as much as you do; it is a great choice to make some money while doing what you love. Luckily, you can choose different types of diving careers from recreational to commercial.
One of the career choices is scuba diving instructor; you can either be a commercial instructor or a recreational instructor.
Some important notes to be a scuba diving instructor:
- The first thing is recreational instructors, in which you can train people who want to take scuba diving for fun or a new hobby. You might want to have a look at PADI since they are the leader in recreational diving training centre in the world. They are responsible for training 70 percent of divers worldwide. For being a recreational instructor, you will need the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors certificate. You can find such instructors around the world especially at tropical vacation areas.
- The most popular job related scuba diving might be instructor at a resort. However, such work is not limited to instructor but it can be more like a retail dive shop, where instructor might have to work other retail work like loading gear, filling tanks, raising gear, repairing scuba equipment. The works included will vary based on the size of the resort or the operation.
- You can always choose other locations apart from resort areas if you want to work as an instructor. It can be retail dive shop, dive boats, cruises.
- You can find works in retail dive shops since they prefer to hire people who are certified divers to sell their products. You might or might not have sales experience but it is not a compulsory requirement. You can expect your responsibility at a retail shop can include renting equipment, maintaining equipment and filling tanks.
- You definitely should consider this option since it is one of the best that you can join to be an instructor. Nowadays, many people choose to take courses/ lessons of diving certification, the pool portion locally. Therefore, you have many chances to teach here. Many shops are located near local lake or beach, so they can have access to open water.
- Another option for you is dive boats; they are great sources of scuba diving jobs. This can even be a better option than working on a cruise ship since it focuses on diving. One more advantage of this dive boat over a cruise ship is that their diving schedule will mainly focus on the areas which are great for diving.
The smaller scale of a dive boat also makes the experience much more interesting than working on a big cruise ship. However, there is one thing in common between working on a dive boat and a cruise ship is that the instructors must interact with customers and guests. Therefore, it might be great for people with friendly and outgoing personality. You might not be expected to work multi task and your work hours should be less than 12 hours a day.
Talking about the cruise industry, nowadays, cruise ships always include some kind of water sports to their activities, many of them are diving or snorkeling programs. There are two options for the cruises to operate such activities, either it is outsourcing or having their own instructors. The outsourcing cruises will use local divers at the places that they travel to instruct their guests in diving. Other cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean will have their own staff to be responsible for diving instruction. The diving locations of such cruises are usually some private islands.
The job you should be expected to be included maintaining equipment, teaching snorkeling and diving. In a cruise ship, you might be expected to interact with your customers and make them satisfied with the experience, therefore, it is important for this position if you have a friendly and extroverted personality. If organizing and social events are not your cup of tea, you might want to reconsider accepting this job.
PADI instructors are usually hired by marine biologists for their university training. You can also find jobs from The US Environmental Protection Agency to study about water quality and pollution and other underwater projects.
If you love diving and it is your life passion, consider yourself quite lucky since you have many options to find work. What else is better than doing what you love while earning money? You might now want to start looking at those above job providers that we suggested. I hope you will find your dream job and do what you love. Best of luck from us!